Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University seeks candidates for their Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry Education position.
The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry Education will provide oversight and strategic planning for Perkins School of Theology’s programs for high school youth and their families, college-aged young adults, and practitioners who work with these constituencies. He/she will be the point person for connecting Perkins and SMU to church and community organizations that work with youth and young adults and their families.
- Plan conferences, training and programs for Perkins School of Youth Ministry, Youth Ministry Certification, and an intensive experience in Theological Education. Recruit speakers & presenters, workshops and volunteers. Coordinate details including facilities, catering, scheduling, registration and planning meetings. Manage budget & initiate financial transactions related to the department.
- Strengthen networks between Perkins School of Theology and practitioners — locally, regionally, and nationally — who work with youth and their families and young adults.
- Communicate with annual conferences and national offices of The United Methodist Church and other denominational bodies and parachurch organizations. Recruit participants for conferences and programs with the goal of increasing participation in all events.
- Develop marketing materials and communication strategies for conferences and programs in conjunction with the Office of Alumni and Public Relations at Perkins School of Theology. Assist in developing content for program website as needed. Assist with marketing programs via social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Blogs)
- Develop and launch an initiative that conducts research into the study of youth culture and existing youth ministries, and cultivates future strategies. Engage Perkins staff and faculty and youth practitioners to participate. Secure grants and funding opportunities for the research initiative.
- Collaborate with the Perkins Office of External Programs to strengthen existing programs and develop new ones.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably a degree in Theology and/or Youth Ministry.
A minimum of three years of work experience in youth and/or young adult ministry. Event planning and marketing experience is essential.
Office and database management required, budget management preferred.
Experience in multicultural setting desirable. Bilingual is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidate must possess a working knowledge of church and ministry operations and be able to work in a high volume, detail-oriented environment, generating creative, effective event programming. Knowledge of and appreciation for theology from a Wesleyan perspective is desirable.
Candidate must demonstrate strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills as well as the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Must also demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in writing. A strong customer service orientation is essential.
Candidate must possess strong time management, organizational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks. Must also possess strong problem solving skills with the ability to identify, analyze problems and devise solutions. A strong focus on attention to detail is essential.
Candidate must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher). Knowledge of and experience with social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Blogs) is required. Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop is desirable.
Candidate must be able to work evenings and weekends as required for programs.
- Carry/lift over 25-50 lbs.
- Reach above shoulders
- Handle objects (dexterity)
- Sit for long periods of time
Priority consideration may be given to submissions received by April 27, 2016. DEADLINE TO APPLY: May 6, 2016.
TO APPLY: Please visit our website and select staff careers from the right-hand side menu to access the online application. Click on Staff Career Opportunities and apply to Job ID#: 900953.
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601,firstname.lastname@example.org.