One of the goals of the Lilly Youth Theology Coordination Grant is to provide support for the youth theology program directors. A strategy in support of this goal is to offer webinars on topics that would be of interest and helpful. The Lilly Youth Theology Network (LYTN) has not facilitated a webinar before, so this first webinar is designed to help our staff learn how to coordinate a webinar. Our first webinar is:
A Theology of Clothing – Styled By God: A Girl’s Guide to Dressing From the Inside Out
November 20 from 2:00pm-2:45pm EST
We welcome Rev. Gail Davis as our presenter. Gail is an ordained Baptist preacher and serves as an Associate Minister at historic Berean Baptist Church in Brooklyn, NY. She holds a Master of Divinity degree from New York Theological Seminary and is currently completing the Doctor of Ministry degree there. Gail is also the Artistic Director for The Living Pulpit, a quarterly publication for ministry leaders and laypersons.
The webinar has two goals:
1. To gain insight into a theology of clothing and its connection to our efforts of engaging youth in theology.
2. To pilot test LYTN’s webinar platform and receive feedback on how to best conduct future webinars with the LYTN community.
Please take a moment to register at: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7522432309069563394
Some significant points about this project will focus on identity, history and how early church fathers and the Bible discuss clothing particularly for women. Other points will look at how theology is taught (or not taught) in church, and some critical points below:
1. Our existence is marked by clothing
2. For youth – they now are or should be an active body of Christ – future leaders of the church and beacons of religion (Christianity)
3. Brown females are already objects of intersecting oppression – talk about clothing are ways people continue to oppress
4. Build and develop language that opposes internalized oppression
The webinar is scheduled from 2:00-2:45pm EST and will include a presentation by Gail followed by a short Q&A. Anyone who would like to discuss the topic further is invited to participate in a Skype conversation with Gail immediately following the webinar at 3:00pm EST. Details will be given during the webinar.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. If you have any questions, please contact Jessie Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877.556.9518.